Author Topic: Issues with moving on  (Read 4186 times)

Offline sunandmoon

Issues with moving on
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
Hey all, could use your advice and everyone here has such a level head on their shoulders and a unique perspective to r/s's.

I started to see someone the end of August. The r/s has progressed pretty quickly and I am thoroughly enjoying my time with him. He is very much into me and I admit it's been an eye-opener after 18 mos of my ex backing away and the past 9 of him barely giving me the time of day.

All this time I've made excuses for my ex, saying he didn't treat me like a friend because he actually still loves me etc etc. Of course the thousands spent on psychics who told me he was my sm and he'd be back. In reality, who really knows? Simple fact is, he doesn't want to be with me at this point in time and I was becoming more and more miserable and I didn't like that.

Moving on really clicked for me one day when I went to offer my ex help and he was completely rude to me and also mentioned another girl, which he has repeatedly done all summer. I was actually going to tell him that day that I couldn't sit around and wait anymore, but after him bringing her up again, a little switch flicked inside me and I said nope, I am done, he doesn't deserve a last chance.

I've told the new guy about this r/s and my past affair because there are people we work with who know my exs family. I feared him finding out 6 months down the line. He is dealing with the affair but he is very worried my ex will come back and say the magic words to whisk me away from him. There are no magic words I can say to my new guy to assure him that I won't. He thought I had said something to my ex that last time I went over there. He feels that because I told my ex I would wait for him (though I haven't said that since last year), that my ex feels secure in doing whatever he's doing because he knows I'm the one and that I am waiting (I specifically said I'd wait as long as he continued to give me signs and there have not been any signs for many months). I will be honest and say I have not mentioned my new r/s to my exs mother and I talk to her often. My new guy does park in my driveway overnight though, we go out often and he went away with me for work last weekend. So I'm not hiding him per se, I'm just not mentioning him to the exs family as I really don't want any issues right now.

I have not heard from my ex since that day I went over there, over 4 weeks ago. It's been the longest we've been in NC. He has not emailed me since mid-August which was odd as he was sharing something more with me than with his family. But I am tired of reading into every nuance with him. Maybe things just are what they are and he's just not interested in me at all anymore. He still has a double facebook life, he still has this other girl he talks to all the time. (she is "so in love with him" but still married and I don't believe they are physical though she is filling an emotional void in his life). In addition to the affair we had, the r/s he had in the winter was also an affair. Do I want a man who now seems to be attracted to married women? Oh and when we went out NYD, he was apparently in this r/s which means he cheated on her with me, which I didn't know for months. That day he drunkenly told me he loved me, missed me and wanted to make it better, but since the things have continued to go downhill.

Also my exs mom has never hesitated to let him know that I still loved him so he has had reasons to believe I'd still be waiting. I worry this will be a huge shock for him when he finds out. Unfortunately due to his personality traits there is no way for me to predict how he will react. He will either be angry or go the sad crying route. He could actively try to pursue me again. Then again you'd think if he were interested, he'd wear his favorite necklace that I replace for him a couple of months ago, after he lost in last winter.

I should note I really do feel I've moved on. I do have occasional twinges of regrets over what's happened in the past. Reading some recent success stories makes me feel as though I've given up too early, but really after 18 months I can't say I didn't try. I've actually deleted his texts off my phone since I started seeing the new guy, and have at least moved most of his pictures from out in the open in my house. That was an amazing feeling for me too as I never felt I'd be able to do that.

What are your thoughts? Do I owe the ex an explanation? He had a r/s in the winter he never told me about though I can see in hindsight that he alluded to it. I've never been in a limbo situation like this before. It is possible he will have a WTF moment when he realizes I've moved on and really start to push me and that's what my new guy is worried about. Until that happens and I reject him, my new guy will have this hanging over his head, though he has no doubts for how I feel about him.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:38:23 PM by sunandmoon »

Offline optx88

Re: Issues with moving on
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
I don't think you owe anyone an explanation...especially if you didn't do anything wrong.

Do you like this new guy?  If so, then go with it and see where this can go.  You don't have to erase your ex from your heart in mind...in time that will happen on its own...where it is with this new guy or another new guy.

I would remove all pics of your ex.  That is not fair for your new guy to see that...plus it will also be good for you not to see it.

Also, you don't owe anything to your ex's mom.  You don't owe you're ex anything either.  If he does have the "WTF" moment...well...you will cross that bridge when you come to it.  Maybe you will have a choice...maybe not because it will be so clear what you will want.  But I wouldn't worry or think about that possibility now.

Enjoy the new relationship and see where it goes...you have every right :D

Offline lightme

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »
you don't need to tell if you don't feel like it.
does your new guy want you to tell?
you don't want to tell because you worry he will come
after you? in this case then don't tell.

I thought if I am the new guy I would want you to tell.
I would want to see you to turn him down for me.

Offline sunandmoon

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks both of you! I AM enjoying this new r/s very very much.  :)

Yes, the new guy would like it if my ex knew because to him he would feel closure and that he wouldn't come back after me. Since it's an unknown, my new guy feels the ex just thinks he can come back whenever and will be in for a rude shock when he does. He's worried about what will happen. He is also confused as to why I would even consider taking him back after all he's put me through and I have tried to explain that while we are together that will NOT happen. But saying that just made him say, but that means if we weren't together you WOULD consider it <sigh>. This is what I get for going out with an intelligent man LOL. Then I try to explain that I may even (if I were single) not be willing to even try again but how would I ever know unless the situation was in front of me? All I can promise is that I won't cheat on him and I won't leave him unless WE decide things are not working out, because I promised myself when I started the r/s with him, that I would give it every chance to flourish. I am doing so and enjoying every minute of it.

Just had wondered what others have done.... and I guess I have a bit of co-dependency left in me. 2 postponed therapy appointments are not doing me any favors right now!

Offline lightme

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:33:52 PM »
i am so happy for you about your new love :)

shows that your new guy cares a lot about you. perhaps you may want to make decision by considering your new guy's feelings, afterall he is the important one to you now. or you can wait a while more for the both of you to deepen more, before you "let the wind out".

personally ( you don't have to listen to me, is just me ) i would tell, i don't want the old guy to keep thinking i still like him. but i will tell the mother, not him directly. just mention casually you are so happy now. or update in your fb. keep us posted. 

Offline optx88

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »
sunandmoon...i think your new guy is protecting himself.  personally...i wouldn't say a thing to your ex...you don't owe him that.  whether you tell him or not...if he is going to try and come back...he will try and come back and nothing will stop him from trying.  He hasn't been treating you with respect...so why should you have respect for him and tell him...I just think that may feed his ego and he may think that you are looking for his permission than anything. 

I also think that if you do say something to your ex...he may kind of play with your head a little right there on the spot...lead you to believe there is something...you break up with the new guy and then he does the same thing to you just as he has been doing.

Have fun sunandmoon....remove all things that will remind you of your ex so you can give this new guy a fair chance and try not to talk about this too much to the new guy.  your new guy also has to understand...you can't stop someone from cheating and you can't forcefully redirect someone's heart...it has to just happen naturally.

you aren't going to know what you are going to do and what you would say if the ex comes back...unless it does...who knows...you may even end it with both of them...lol...don't think so much...again...i don't think you owe your ex any kind of explanation...did you ever get one?

Offline sunandmoon

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »
green, my ex just ceased being with me April 2010. No explanations, no matter how I asked. He continued to talk to me and since he normally cuts people out of his life, I took them as signs. And the psychics told me so of course. He has absolutely not treated me with respect at all. If he did, he would have actually broken up with me instead of whatever crap it was that he did.

I hid a bunch of pix the first time the new guy came over (when he just came over to help me with stuff) and I never put them back. Then a couple of weeks later he asked me out to dinner and came in the house after, and I quickly hid another and that one is still hidden. When I get a minute I'll pack them away in a drawer or something. I've deleted all the texts in my inbox and am working on my sent texts, most of which I had locked.

I honestly don't bring it up but it does weigh on the new guys mind and he asks. We are very honest with each other and sometimes he overthinks things. He figures with our multi-year history (me and the ex), he doesn't stand a chance, but I've told him that HE is the one that cares for me and shows me that, and actually wants to be with me. In addition to 3.5 years of being with my ex, I more recently have 1.5 years of pain and confusion. So right there my new guy is coming out ahead IMO.

Lightme I'm sure I'll mention something to his mom at some point, just tell her I started to date someone I guess. Not really an issue right now except that we used to talk almost daily and now I tend to ignore her a bit!

Thanks so much for the insight, I love you guys!  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:34:25 PM by sunandmoon »

Offline 4everhopeful

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
Sunandmoon, I may not be the one to be giving advice. But....if you are enjoying this new relationship and this guy seems to be really into you, then dont hide him away. Dont worry about what your ex thinks or his family or anything. Your ex is sure doing what he wants isnt he? He isnt hiding anyone that he goes out with or spends time with. You owe him nothing. Go ahead with your life and enjoy it. Also, dont worry about hurting anyone anymore. We all should have learned by now that getting hurt is a part of life. We dont do it intentionally. But if you are truly beginning to like this new guy and have feelings for him, then let it grow and let him know that he is number 1 to you now. If he is asking for guarantees, then remind him that life has no guarantees but that you have no plans whatsoever of leaving him for anybody.
True that you dont know what your ex's response or actions will be when he finds out, but you sure dont want to just report to him what youre doing. Let him find out the way everyone else does, through seeing you out enjoying yourself. Its time we all lived our lives. Just my two cents worth.
But I say put this new guy in the number 1 spot. Good luck to you.

Offline sunandmoon

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »
4ever I love to hear from you! This guy IS #1 to me. It's been far too long that I've given my ex that position and have gotten nothing in return. I am not hiding him really, we went away with one of my jobs last weekend (my stalker who is friends with me ex was there so I don't think she put two and two together). He parks in my driveway overnight and we do go out often.

One thing I have learned through all this mess is to never take anyone for granted and to show those you care about that you do appreciate them. Every time he walks into my house we greet each other with a hug, kiss and smile, as if we hadn't seen each other for months. It's such a wonderful feeling.

Yep, the ex is sure doing what he wants, though he didn't flaunt any r/s in front of me, just keeps mentioning my stalkers name every time I see him.

I hope things are going well with you!

Offline 4everhopeful

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »
Im ok Sunandmoon. I'll get through all of this and be fine. I always am.
It sounds like you really like this guy. Im so happy for you. And you dont have to flaunt the new relationship, just be happy in it and dont worry if the ex sees you or not.
Im moving on and in fact just heard from a friend that I used to date a couple of years ago. Even though we stopped dating, we continued a friendship. He just texted me a little while ago and we plan to spend a little time together hunting, lol. Wild hogs of all things, lmao. What a trip. But he is fun and we laugh a lot so I think thats just what I need. Im looking forward to it if it really happens. We've made plans before and never got around to it but maybe this time we will. He lives a couple of hours from me so we will see how it goes.
Again, I am very happy for you and wish you all the luck in the world. And dont go calling psychics asking about this relationship, just let it happen.   :)

Offline 4everhopeful

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
Yeah, you know right after I saw the pic of the current girlfriend being pregnant, I immediately called Eve. She is the one that said she felt an infant around them back in early summer. She still has the nerve to say that he will not marry her and will not bring her or the baby back to the states. That he will come knocking on my door when I am with someone else and cause confusion but that I will make the right decision when I come to the fork in the road. The funny thing is that I have heard that same story so many times from so many of the psychics. Who knows what to believe anymore? And what makes it so confusing is that they get so much right, then here comes something like this. Another funny thing, Seha and Abigail both used the words that I would be so "shocked", but I thought they meant that I would be shocked when I got contact from him, but the shock was seeing her pregnant. I know he will love this baby, and I would never wish harm to the baby, the mother, or the ex. But I also know that he never wanted more children, not mine, nor anymore of his own. So I do feel that he is upset about the situation. And the pic of her shows her without wedding or engagement ring. Makes you wonder when Eve says he will not marry this woman, no matter what.
I had emailed Seha at her personal website but she couldnt read for me there since I was a client with her at CP. I emailed her about the news I had just found out and told her that I guessed it was time to move on but thanked her for being beside me and trying to help me with this situation. She did email back and said she was sorry that the predictions didnt pan out, but that she had to say that she still doesnt think Ive seen the last of this man, regardless of the circumstances. So strange that they would still say that isnt it. Doesnt mean Im gonna hang onto hope though. Im going out when I get the chance and moving on with my life. If I find happiness with someone else, then the ex will have missed out if he ever does show up again. Its not that I dont love him anymore, because I will always love that man, but its time I moved on and just put all of this in the past. Who knows what the psychics are seeing, it seems to me that even though they do get some stuff right, some of the stuff they see is not what we think they are seeing, even though we have to agree that they were right. Its just different than we expected. Wish someone could explain just how it all works and what we can count on and what we cant. Guess we really arent supposed to know the future, lol.
BTW: I got a "Good Morning" text from my old friend this morning.  He pops up from time to time, and I do know that he recently broke up with his girlfriend. He used to call me and ask my advice and opinion about stuff going on with her. I saw red flags all over the place and told him so but wished him luck all the same. It seems it didnt work out after all. Im not going into this with expectations but just spending time with him from time to time would be nice. We always had fun together so who knows. Gonna keep an open mind about the whole thing.

Offline sunandmoon

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
Hey 4ever, fun is where it's at! Anything to put a smile on your face is key and if it leads to something more, all the better.  :)

They could be banking on the fact that 9 out of 10 exs will show back up again even if it's just to say hi. I had pretty much every guy in my past (from high school/college) pop back up at some point (not that I went out with a lot, but seriously 3 of them and one of them probes every couple of years about my life - of course he is the worst of the bunch). Who knows why they do it. So maybe psychics are working off probabilities. I can't deny they do get current things correctly.

When I talked to Reed he actually described both guys very well. This was a month before I started to officially see the new guy and Reed said I would be happy with either in the future and I'd know when it was time to sever the r/s with my ex.

Jean pegged both guys well too. But Reed was one of only two that saw a good future with the new guy, the others kept focused on the ex.