Author Topic: 12 steps, or not?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline copperhead

12 steps, or not?
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:07:54 AM »
Consider this point of view: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/the-surprising-failures-of-12-steps/284616/
Book "The Sober Truth": http://www.npr.org/2014/03/23/291405829/with-sobering-science-doctor-debunks-12-step-recovery - http://www.wbur.org/radioboston/2014/03/31/12-step-dodes

And you can find much much more.

With a rate of 5-10% success, it can't be considered the best option to treat addiction.

Offline Baypark1

Re: 12 steps, or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »
Have you tried it personally?  I'm wondering why you're so against it.  I personally know many many people who have over 20 years sobriety using the 12 steps including myself. 

Offline sunshineluv7

• Psychic Callers Anonymous Support Board
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »
Agreed. I think 5-10% success rate just has to be wrong. If that was true it wouldn't have grown to be several different programs that are national and maybe even international. Even the person I do know who at first said the same thing as this (it doesn't work, it's not for me, etc) it ended up being the thing that likely saved her life -- but only once she was truly ready to admit she had an issue, and wasn't there due to court order.

Offline copperhead

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:00:15 PM »
Have you tried it personally?  I'm wondering why you're so against it.  I personally know many many people who have over 20 years sobriety using the 12 steps including myself.

I'm firmly opposed to replace an addiction with another 'addiction': faith not in yourself but in a superior being is what AAA teaches.
And no, I haven't tried myself: I would never do it. But I've dated someone who did it. Sure, he was sober (20 years), but he was 'addicted' to other things: adrenaline, love, sex, etc. He was the most insecure person I've ever met. Also, he was 'dependent' upon his mentor. We all need people to talk to, I do it with my friends a lot. But mature and emotionally healthy adults should be able to make decisions without continuously consulting with someone else. The program is not much different from a cult, with zero scientific base. Read some of the articles I posted (and search for more), they'll give background why the program has become so huge but, in reality, not so successful (yes, the 5-10% success rate of AAA is the true figure).

Offline copperhead

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:06:42 PM »
Agreed. I think 5-10% success rate just has to be wrong. If that was true it wouldn't have grown to be several different programs that are national and maybe even international. Even the person I do know who at first said the same thing as this (it doesn't work, it's not for me, etc) it ended up being the thing that likely saved her life -- but only once she was truly ready to admit she had an issue, and wasn't there due to court order.

Read some of the articles I posted, they explain why AAA has become huge. The % is correct.
Yes, it has saved lives, good. But has it really created healthy individuals or simply people who no longer drink?
It's one method. For some it has worked. For the most, it hasn't. And it's time the general public knows more about fighting addictions: there's more than just AAA.

Offline sunshineluv7

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »
Copperhead, with all due respect you seem to be shooting down an attempt to help people without really suggesting anything else that has any social support. While yes, it's true if someone decides not to stick with the program it won't work (like anything in life), .. I mean we are starting from scratch here.

And there are other methods, just none that have reached the popularity of those methods. I personally haven't heard of any other methods that actually work. Some people can quit things cold turkey and don't need a method, others don't.

Mixing a forum that promotes psychics with those who are trying to use it to convince themselves not to call, can have mixed results and is kind of a slippery slope by definition, which many have commented on here already

Touching on what you said about the person you knew, most people with addictions will be addicted to more than one thing; there are genes and biochemistry related to addiction. E.g., The A1 allele of the dopamine receptor gene DRD2 is more common in people addicted to alcohol or cocaine. -- That's a fact. So not everyone can, by genetic composition, simply control themselves.

To say trading one addiction for another is a bad thing is also something I have to disagree with. If you can trade a maladaptive behavior pattern for something that benefits you, then you have made a positive change. And that's the goal. Higher power or not, a lot of recent studies show that the effects of meditation on the brain are the same exact effects of prayer.

A 12-step-based support group might not be the ideal solution here, but it's a step in the right direction. The tools you pick up in 12-step programs truly do enable you to be completely successful independent of the group, but a lot of recovered addicts continue to go because they like the community and can serve as support to people who are newly into recovery. These programs treat the underlying behaviors that caused the addiction, not the addiction itself.

So, there's a lot of good here. If it's not for you then that's fine, not everything in the world is for everyone, but unless you have something to suggest to help others that we can build into this, I'm not really sure what your goal is. My goal in setting this up is to help people. It may not be the perfect solution, true. But there's a famous quote that says, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".

If you have a better idea, I'm all ears, honestly. This is just what I know so it's where I started. I did look into the 4 points system of recovery but it honestly looks like junk to me from what I can tell, and relies on a lot of willpower which is ultimately where people fail. But, I can see why it would work for some people.

And it's a lot better than nothing. Chatting with others who have been there, meeting up periodically, people looking out for each other - all sound like positive things to me. Hence why I moved forward with the idea.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:02:57 PM by sunshineluv7 »

Offline sunshineluv7

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »

I'm firmly opposed to replace an addiction with another 'addiction': faith not in yourself but in a superior being is what AAA teaches.

...kind of. That's part of it, that's the part to get you past the addiction itself, as willpower isn't enough. The rest of it is really life skills and self-discovery, introspection, growth, and learning tools to handle...life's sticky situations, ultimately.

Offline copperhead

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 12:13:13 AM »
sunshineluv7, I didn't mean to diminish or criticize your attempt at creating a support group, it's an admirable initiative. I only wanted to point out that the original 12 steps program has problems (it hasn't changed approach since 1930s, it's conducted by non-professional, neither medically or psychologically trained, etc.), and it has been recognized as not that effective, despite its popularity. Google the topic and you'll find a lot of information and numerous articles that present a different approach. Of course, whatever works for an individual is positive and welcome. But it's also time to recognize, as the research on the topic has demonstrated, that AAA is not the best approach to addiction treatment.
And here I stop. I presented my point of view - which is mine but also based on a lot of readings I've done. Each of you has the right to investigate further and add your own research, or just ignore what I've said.
A support group for psychic addition based on the 12 steps may work wonder for some! Good luck.

Offline sunshineluv7

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 02:00:52 AM »
Right on! Hopefully this does end up helping people, that's my main goal. And I am certainly not a scholar in addiction/addictive behavior, but you do learn a lot when you grow up with one as a parent.

You're correct in all of those measures - unfortunately I think what you are starting to segue into is an entire problem the nation as a whole faces, which is a weak mental health program at best. These types of programs - they're free, which makes it much more accessible to most than other types of programs. Addiction is such a fascinating topic, there's so much that could be said about it in general.

Everything else I have encountered requires intensive therapy lead by a professional, and none of those are free, either. But the one theme I see through all of these programs is that it truly comes down to the individual's want to do the work - going back to it works if you work it - just like joining the best fitness club money can by, if you don't show up regularly or your sabotage workouts with junk food, then you won't be as successful as you could have been. And therapy, while I think is wonderful and everyone could benefit at some point in their life, is only as good as the therapist - and very time limited.

Good "talk", either way!