Author Topic: Sylvia Browne  (Read 12866 times)

Offline bstalling

Re: Sylvia Browne
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »
I kinda agree with Zee. Psychics really need to take better responsibility about what they tell their clients. Of course, they are not God...blah blah. But still..their words can heal or kill.

I actually think this recent hoopla about the missing woman is what did her in. What did she die of?

Offline melancholia

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
Who cares if she was wrong about things or not, she is gone and it is tacky to think ANY comments about her are funny.

Typically I'd agree, but then I think about the lives she quite literally ruined by claiming that people's children were dead.  So I feel a little bad about it, but I still see where the comments are coming from and do take some dark humor away from it.  That doesn't mean I think her death is funny, but some of the commentary about her life and her actions still is, just as it was before she passed.

There's a difference, I guess, at least in my mind, between being wrong about things like your boyfriend/husband/whatever coming back or you getting/keeping/losing a job, and being wrong about your missing child being dead.  And it's not even like that was an isolated incident, so...yeah.  Sorry.  I can't really agree with the idea that she's somehow sacrosanct because she has now passed when I consider all of those things.

This: http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1023927/sylvia-browne-predictions-what-she-got-right-what-she-got-so-so-wrong kind of summarizes what I'm talking about, I suppose.  I'm not saying people should gloat over her death or be happy she's died, but I am saying that she shouldn't be held immune to mockery for the lies she's told or the pain she's caused. 

bstalling - I don't think the cause of death has been released, but she was 77 so I wouldn't be surprised if it was heart failure or something similar.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:14:18 PM by Somnus »

Offline tellmewhy

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »
For years, people had put their trust in her instead of God, Universe or who ever you may believe in;maybe she did not have a visions at all about the person and took a 50% guess and she was wrong. I equally blame the people who consulted her and say they were equally guilty. With that said, i still believe we need to be let go, because there are too many negative comments out there. She played the supply and demand game and some fell for it. A long time ago, maybe 15 years back, i thought of calling her but i did not have the $1000 for it.

I put Sylvia Brown to rest so should all of us!!!

Offline copperhead

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »
Psychics are rarely good at reading for themselves.   I doubt she did see it coming.

Back in May 2003 on The Larry King Show she predicted her own death. She claimed she would pass at the age of 88. I remember thinking back then how odd and eerie that was. I don't believe any of us know when it will be our 'time'. As with some things I feel it is not for us to know.

well, following how many psychics seem to justify their own mistakes, she was sort of 'right'. After all, she got a double digit for her death (77 instead of 88).
No one should be happy that another human being died but I don't see why people shouldn't be entitled to opinions, about her or any other person. Why death should purge the actions they did while alive?

Offline bstalling

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »
77 is pretty close to 88? I'm calling that prediction is absolutely wrong. Sorry. See how we try to rationalize the wrong with psychics?

Offline Zee

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
Exactly. I could not have said it better.

This: http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1023927/sylvia-browne-predictions-what-she-got-right-what-she-got-so-so-wrong kind of summarizes what I'm talking about, I suppose.  I'm not saying people should gloat over her death or be happy she's died, but I am saying that she shouldn't be held immune to mockery for the lies she's told or the pain she's caused.

I read all of it, especially the comments section and that article was fabulous.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:22:27 PM by Zee »

Offline Zee

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 06:29:25 PM »
I still stand by my assertion that Stevie was a human monster, but I got a quote for the day from Wizardmask, which he made:

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma- which is living with the results or other people's thinking.  Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice.  And most important have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.  They somehow already know what you truly want to become.  Everything else is secondary.
~Steve Jobs

Offline melancholia

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
At the risk of veering off-topic (okay, embracing the fact that I'm probably about to go off into left field), what makes you say that Steve Jobs was a monster?  I'm not giving an opinion one way or the other; just kind of curious.

I still stand by my assertion that Stevie was a human monster, but I got a quote for the day from Wizardmask, which he made:

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma- which is living with the results or other people's thinking.  Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice.  And most important have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.  They somehow already know what you truly want to become.  Everything else is secondary.
~Steve Jobs

Offline Zee

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
Well, it is all over the net and presented in his recent book. Although I mentioned some of this a page back, his biographer lays it out below. Jobs lived life as an asshole and died a bigger asshole. Some call him a [tweaker]. His technological advances should be noted, because they propelled us to another level, but I wouldn't call him an inspiration like so many people are talking themselves into believing.  Nothing about the way he lived or treated people was inspiring.

Steve Jobs, Isaacson’s biography makes clear, was a complicated and exhausting man. “There are parts of his life and personality that are extremely messy, and that’s the truth,” Powell tells Isaacson. “You shouldn’t whitewash it.” Isaacson, to his credit, does not. He talks to everyone in Jobs’s career, meticulously recording conversations and encounters dating back twenty and thirty years.

Jobs, we learn, was a bully. “He had the uncanny capacity to know exactly what your weak point is, know what will make you feel small, to make you cringe,” a friend of his tells Isaacson. Jobs gets his girlfriend pregnant, and then denies that the child is his. He parks in handicapped spaces. He screams at subordinates. He cries like a small child when he does not get his way.

He gets stopped for driving a hundred miles an hour, honks angrily at the officer for taking too long to write up the ticket, and then resumes his journey at a hundred miles an hour. He sits in a restaurant and sends his food back three times. He arrives at his hotel suite in New York for press interviews and decides, at 10 P.M., that the piano needs to be repositioned, the strawberries are inadequate, and the flowers are all wrong: he wanted calla lilies. (When his public-relations assistant returns, at midnight, with the right flowers, he tells her that her suit is “disgusting.”)

“Machines and robots were painted and repainted as he compulsively revised his color scheme,” Isaacson writes, of the factory Jobs built, after founding NeXT, in the late nineteen-eighties. “The walls were museum white, as they had been at the Macintosh factory, and there were $20,000 black leather chairs and a custom-made staircase. . . . He insisted that the machinery on the 165-foot assembly line be configured to move the circuit boards from right to left as they got built, so that the process would look better to visitors who watched from the viewing gallery.”

Isaacson begins the book with Jobs’s humble origins in Silicon Valley, the early triumph at Apple, and the humiliating ouster from the firm he created. He then charts the even greater triumphs at Pixar and at a resurgent Apple, when Jobs returns, in the late nineteen-nineties, and our natural expectation is that Jobs will emerge wiser and gentler from his tumultuous journey. He never does. In the hospital at the end of his life, he runs through sixty-seven nurses before he finds three he likes. “At one point, the pulmonologist tried to put a mask over his face when he was deeply sedated,” Isaacson writes:

Jobs ripped it off and mumbled that he hated the design and refused to wear it. Though barely able to speak, he ordered them to bring five different options for the mask and he would pick a design he liked. . . . He also hated the oxygen monitor they put on his finger. He told them it was ugly and too complex.

TWEAKER
Jobs was someone who took other people’s ideas and changed them. But he did not like it when the same thing was done to him. In his mind, what he did was special.

Even within Apple, Jobs was known for taking credit for others’ ideas. Jonathan Ive, the designer behind the iMac, the iPod, and the iPhone, tells Isaacson, “He will go through a process of looking at my ideas and say, ‘That’s no good. That’s not very good. I like that one.’ And later I will be sitting in the audience and he will be talking about it as if it was his idea.”

Jobs’s sensibility was editorial, not inventive. His gift lay in taking what was in front of him—the tablet with stylus—and ruthlessly refining it. ---SO what this really means is, he didn't invent jack, he tweaked it.

This is no different than Mark Zuckerberg, being thought of as brilliant.  He stole the idea for Facebook and became a billionaire from it, but it wasn't his and so many people lose sight of the fact, he is a thief.

Here is the three page article in its entirety http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/11/14/111114fa_fact_gladwell. It too is fabulous.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:48:45 PM by Zee »

Offline Bark angel

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »
I don't see anything hugely monstrous in that quote!  What exactly is so wrong with it?

Offline bstalling

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »
I don't see anything hugely monstrous in that quote!  What exactly is so wrong with it?

Basically, he was a bully and an asshole.

Offline melancholia

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 09:13:24 PM »
Wow.  Well, I feel vindicated for being a PC, then.

...Er.  A PC user.  I am not actually, literally, a PC.

Just want to clarify.  *cough*

Offline Nottakingthebait

• Veterans
  • “Place your hand over your heart, can you feel it?
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
Ok well, enough of this.  Has anyone had a reading lately? Anything happening for anyone?  Anyone have any updates lol?

Offline tellmewhy

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 11:43:44 PM »
Who cares about how bad these people were? I want to live in the now and know what is going on in my life or the best psychics to call if there are any!!! The dead cannot change a thing so why waste time talking about how horrible they were!!! The question is, did these people stand up for themselves? if they did not, why should i stand up and fight with the dead!

Tired of this nonsense!!!

Offline tellmewhy

Re: Reaing
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
KTH am still waiting to hear back!!!

Ok well, enough of this.  Has anyone had a reading lately? Anything happening for anyone?  Anyone have any updates lol?

anything