Author Topic: What do YOU look for before calling a psychic?  (Read 5711 times)

Offline marybell

What do YOU look for before calling a psychic?
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
Hi all
I got out of line, waiting for abundant visions.  I lost my patience and the will to live having to wait so long. lol
Cookie did not take my call. She blocked me even though I have never spoken to her before. I have never left negative feedback for anyone, so this is curious to me.  Has anyone had a reading with Liz Browne - love coach?  She has some nice feedback , I am thinking of calling her.

In the meantime, I was thinking about what I look for before I call I psychic. I was curious what others look for as well.   I have found a few great psychics this way. And a few not so good. But I have never felt any of them to be scam artists. 

1.  I will never ever call any psychic regardless of how much they are recommended if they say they are 99% accurate. To me that is a red flag that they are not truthful.  If they say they are  99% accurate sometimes - then that would be okay.. lol

2.  If they claim they can reunite lovers - no thanks. Gimme a break.  Another red flag. Scammmm

3   If they say they do accurate time frames  and the feedback does not support that claim - no thanks.  For a claim like that I will read at least 5 pages of feedback to make sure their " buddies" aren't helping out on the front pages of their feedback

4  . If they say that they do not do timing questions , I find that interesting and truthful.     It's  truthful if an adviser claims to be able to guide you and their feedback supports that ability

5   I read the feedback at least 3 pages to see if that adviser dazzles people  and and how and in what way. If the majority of comments are thanks and other one word compliments, I feel the adviser is probably fine but not great.

6    I am distrustful of any feedback that gives too much information away.   If it looks like an advertisement, it probably is.   Usually I will google that costumers name to see who else they have called and if they have left too much information for them as well.  If they do that to others, than it's probably truthful.

7. A line up is interesting, but I have found not necessary indicative of someone who is good for me. I feel feedback is better than a line up as an indication. 

8  I check to see if they offer free minutes to new costumers.  They must be very confident if they do.

9  And of course, I look for recommendations on this forum!

What about you? What do you look for?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:25:40 PM by marybell »

Offline Truth

• Lookin for the good ones, just like most of you
Re: What do YOU look for before calling a psychic?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 11:36:25 PM »
i agree with a lot of things you said. here are some of my red flags:

- a reader is online all day long. that, to me, doesn't seem like a gift. it seems like someone has a work from home job, trying to make money. maybe not always the case, but i would say it's most likely. also, i'm not disagreeing with being a professional psychic. but most people that are legit have their own site and don't just sit on Keen all day long.

- a really expensive per minute rate. anything over $5 is ridiculous. i feel like this is set in place as a deterrent for people sitting on the phone for 30 mins - 1 hour just talking to the reader. i also know, and am aware, that keen takes a portion of profit with calls, so i get that people have to adjust their rate where they actually earn money from readings. however, people that are charging 8, 9, 20 dollars - come on. that is insane.

- i agree with the comment about feedback that is really short like "thanks" or "very nice" isn't letting me know how accurate the reader is.

- also agree with the "99-100% accurate" comment. false.

- i usually avoid most people that come up on the "Featured Listing". not always the case. i have found a couple that are good through this. however, a lot of these are the ones just sitting around waiting for calls. i know readers need to do this sometimes to get a following, but eventually you should get some sort of following. well, hopefully anyways.

- obviously someone that has a lot of negative ratings, or when people say things like - "judged me" or "was rude" or "sounded sleepy". i read with a Astrologer once on Keen and he literally sounded like i woke him up. i asked a question and it would just go silent for a long period of time and he was so groggy and barely spitting out answers. it was such a weird call. so, with this, i have some personal experience and would like to avoid these types of people that aren't prepared to take calls.

i think that's it for me..

Offline marybell

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »
Hi Truth
I totally agree with you about the price. The higher the cost, the quicker and more detailed I would expect of the reading.  Those 8.00/min plus readers, in my opinion, should be able to tell me what time my neighbor will be taking out their garbage.   I am exaggerating of course, but they would really have to prove themselves. Even at 5.00+ they would need to be so quick and accurate.
About the psychics who work all day – someone else on this forum mentioned that to be a big negative.  I am not sure I understand why that would be.  I guess because I read the  feedback so carefully, I  don’t really care how long they work, as long as they are gifted.
Oh and yes for sure - feedback comments such as "judged me" "rude" , I agree, is also a red flag for me, particularly if shows up more than once.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:43:59 PM by marybell »

Offline marybell

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:32 AM »
It would be really great if anyone wanted to share their process on how they choose a psychic .

Offline allbitenobark

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:57:35 AM »
I use many of the guidelines you all have shared here so not sure what I can add.

1. I generally avoid "featured" readers.

2. I always read their lowest ratings first to a) see how many bad reviews they have vs. good reviews and b) see if the bad reviews seem genuine or are just disgruntled reviewers that weren't told what they wanted to hear.

3. I usually avoid readers that are over $3/min. I think it's ridiculous to charge more per minute than a professional therapist but I have read with a few readers over this rate based on recommendations.

4. Word of mouth. Through forum reviews and friends I have found some good people. This is obviously not fail proof considering not everyone connects with certain readers but I think it's a good place to start.

5. With the exception of a few, I have considered avoiding readers on network sites and only go to independent readers with their own sites. I think the likeliness of them sharing info is much lower and I've been concerned about this for a while. That being said, I also worry if the independent readers have time to Google me ahead of time since the appointments are made in advance. I guess it's all a risk. I'm not singling out KEEN either, I think it's possible that many of the other networks have readers that do this and it's not all readers that engage in this activity. Just a precaution I'm considering taking with my time and money.

6. The 99% accuracy claim and reuniting claim are also red flags for me.

7. Being available day and night is also a red flag for a few reasons: if they are real then why aren't they taking time to recharge between readings? If they are that good they shouldn't need to be on 24/7.

8. If they are "famous", read for the stars, or any other master claim. No.

9. If they go by different names on the different network sites.

10. When all of their good reviews echo how great of a friend they are and how great their advice is. With the exception of one or two that I read with that I actually want their guidance in a situation, for the most part I'm not looking for a friend I pay per min. I want a psychic not "advice". Advice to me = personal opinion. No thanks.

Anyway, those are a some of the things I look out for.

loops77

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »
From Keen..I really read their profile and see what they have to say. If they post a thoughtful, intelligent advertisement...I read their feedback.

Sometimes, I just read with people on a whim..and I've found a few good psychics this way..especially LadyP.

Offline marybell

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »
Ha ha. I forgot that one about being famous decibel. Omg , so true.  Loops, I think you are right about that. There is something about the sensibility of what they say about themselves. I agree.  Thank you guys for contributing. Very useful information .

canary

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »
I use many of the guidelines you all have shared here so not sure what I can add.

1. I generally avoid "featured" readers.

2. I always read their lowest ratings first to a) see how many bad reviews they have vs. good reviews and b) see if the bad reviews seem genuine or are just disgruntled reviewers that weren't told what they wanted to hear.

3. I usually avoid readers that are over $3/min. I think it's ridiculous to charge more per minute than a professional therapist but I have read with a few readers over this rate based on recommendations.

4. Word of mouth. Through forum reviews and friends I have found some good people. This is obviously not fail proof considering not everyone connects with certain readers but I think it's a good place to start.

5. With the exception of a few, I have considered avoiding readers on network sites and only go to independent readers with their own sites. I think the likeliness of them sharing info is much lower and I've been concerned about this for a while. That being said, I also worry if the independent readers have time to Google me ahead of time since the appointments are made in advance. I guess it's all a risk. I'm not singling out KEEN either, I think it's possible that many of the other networks have readers that do this and it's not all readers that engage in this activity. Just a precaution I'm considering taking with my time and money.

6. The 99% accuracy claim and reuniting claim are also red flags for me.

7. Being available day and night is also a red flag for a few reasons: if they are real then why aren't they taking time to recharge between readings? If they are that good they shouldn't need to be on 24/7.

8. If they are "famous", read for the stars, or any other master claim. No.

9. If they go by different names on the different network sites.

10. When all of their good reviews echo how great of a friend they are and how great their advice is. With the exception of one or two that I read with that I actually want their guidance in a situation, for the most part I'm not looking for a friend I pay per min. I want a psychic not "advice". Advice to me = personal opinion. No thanks.

Anyway, those are a some of the things I look out for.

This list needs to be featured on EVERY page!!  To avoid "featured" readers would be overlooking the business these readers are in.  Apparently, readers feature their listings so that other sites that Keen advertises on can bring new callers to those featured.  They apparently pay a lot for being featured - it os their way of advertising.  All those not featured but sitting at the top of the pile are not necessarily the best I learned - they have just been around the longest, or have racked up points based on calls received due to very low rates. 

That said, I would like to add a few of my own nuggets:
1. Avoid readers who have changed their names, or at least, be suspicious of them.  I have found that they were badly written about under their old names (see Ripoff reports and blogs besides this forum), and so, did a name change over time.

2.  Readers who block you on Keen:  They are driving you to their personal websites because they will accept you there, and/or you show up on their basher lists.  If you get a bad reading, you are better off not leaving them bad feedback, than having your call turned away by Keen's other readers - even the good ones.  Bottom line, every buyer needs to beware, proceed with caution, and assume their own risk.  So, I figure that bad feedback on Keen at least, has not done anybody any good.

3.  See their bad feedback first:   Good move!  I went a step further and actually matched up the bad feedback with the basher list that I read about here.  I then found it on the web!!  If the feedback was from a "basher", I did not hold it against the reader.

4.  decibel.diva already said something about this.  Further ensuring you do not get blindsided: NO READER should give guarantees.  You should FEEL that faith in their reading grow within you.  Do not let readers tell you how good they are.  The best of them DO NOT MAKE CLAIMS, DO NOT BRAG, and DO NOT BRING GOD AND ANGELS AND ARCHANGELS INTO THEIR READINGS.  We all have our guides, reader as well as clients.  Good readers happen to be more highly attuned to listening to their Guides (their Higher Self, intuition, the different clairs -) PERIOD!  The good ones know they have an ability and are just as cautious as you the client, about whether what they see is accurate or not.  They will INTERPRET their messages for you based on their understanding of it with you the client in mind, not just offer up something and let you retro-fit the numbers and names they uttered into something that transpires for you down the road.  Did you know our brains have a way of tracking and filtering out events based on what we have seen or heard before?  Folks, this is just an example.  Let us say you decide you are going to buy yourself the latest breakthru anti-aging serum out there with meadowfoam seed oil in it. Your attention will be drawn to any mention of meadowfoam seed oil from now because your antenna has been primed to pay attention to that ingredient.  That does not make the first person you heard it from, psychic.  However, if that was a psychic who told you that, he or she will tell you how/why/where you will hear about meadow foam seed oil, what it will do for YOUR skin, and in how much time.  They will also tell you the outcome of your ignoring it should it get presented.  Not many readers will take the risk of going down that road unless they are are for real, and at that, they may only be able to tell you approx. when that will happen, or why or how.  I am yet to meet one who gets ALL of it!

5.  I see the prudence behind engaging only those readers who are 3 bucks or less.  I used to go by that rule and then changed after I read with a few expensive ones to see what I had missed.  I now go by how often I may have to keep calling a reader back (outside of my own temptation to get a reading.)  Feedback frequency left by their clients is a reasonable indication of that, keeping in mind that the reader might not be the reason for the frequent calls from the same client.  There are some really good ones in the $4-6 range, and I found that one reading with them saved me money and kept me from needing to check around.  They delivered the whole package, the readings were short and tightly delivered, and they read fast. At least I got the sense that they were honest, talented, not fishing for info based on my questions, or were not keeping me on the phone on my dime.  One even said "If you do not have any further questions, your reading is done..." and invited me to email if any clarifications were required.  Made me feel I was in responsible hands!  That said, if calling readers is for therapeutic value, by all means don't spend more than $.99/minute - I would not recommend higher. 

Those are my impressions so far.  I will surely add if there is more, while I continue to eagerly gather all your impressions as well :)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:41:33 PM by canary »

Offline Cfisher

• Veterans
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
1) I read every single page of feedback on all of their listings. Reason being, they could have crap feedback on one listing, then open up another listing;
2) Referral from friends;
3) I google every single reader I'm thinking about reading with, that's how I found this forum, research, research and more research. Oh wait, then I do more research after I've talked with them;
4) if I find one I like, I wait for if anything comes to fruition, and I'll call one more time from another user name to see if they give me the same predictions, if nothing pans out, I give it another three months, and then I never go back and as far as I'm concerned, they aren't psychic and I will post accordingly.
5) I never read with new people on keen, even if their feedback is incredible. I watch for dates on their feedback and watch for different users writing styles on that feedback. One I got burned on was the sorceress on keen. Something about her feedback sat very strangely with me. After I read with her, I waited a week and called her from another user, she have me a very similar reading but final outcome was complete opposite of other reading. Big red flag for me. I went back and took a look at all the feedback. I found exact duplicates feedback from two different users. Pissed me right off when I noticed that;
6) the dates of feedback. Keen users will become friends with other psychics and have them call at a lower rate with a 1 minute call in order to help each other with their feedback and help them get callers. I have a GF who is a reader on keen, and she actually had another reader, suggest that she do this and she would help her out that way. My friend who is very ethical, denied the offer and had a very sour taste in her mouth after that about this reader, and just reading on keen in general. But she likes helping people, so she stays on keen, even though it pissed her off how readers will screw with the system so badly. And yes guys, the keen system is terrible, in my opinion and it's better to get a referral from someone on here vs. even reading any of the feedback on keen. I'm not saying every reader has this type of fake feedback, I'm just saying that it does happen and it happens more than you and I know. It's corrupt. I understand that it's really hard for readers on keen to get clients, but hell at least be ethical about it! Yeesh!
7) the readers that are over $5-, Cookie being the exception, are way over charging for their services, could be that they live in the UK like sincerity, who has helped many people and has some talent, but never worked for me, and keen takes a big chunk from them so they have to have higher rates to sustain their business, but other than these two, I think it's gross what some of them charge. I may look at their feedback, but I wouldn't ever read with them unless I was referred by someone I trust. I have found two exceptional readers, NSJulie at $3.98/minute and cookie at $5.59/ minute. Both to me are the cat's meow for readers and have blown me away with what they do.
8) you have to remember guys, these readers are business people, they have to place bids on keen and PAY for their listings to be shown on the featured listings. There are a few I know did this when they started out to try to get clientele, now they don't need to because they have proven accuracy and loyal client base. The features listings is a bit deceitful, because we the user don't always know how they system works. The readers that have been on there and are good don't need to pay for this advertising, and in my opinion, those who have been on there for years and still need to use the featured listings, well, I think this says a lot for how good they are. But, that's just an opinion;
9) I have received a lot of readings from people on keen. I've also wondered why they block people on keen. I've never had the answer, that they blocked someone because they are trying to drive you to their personal website. I have had the answer that the reader got a really weird/off feeling about the caller and trusted their gut with that. Can you imagine getting a call from a hostile client? Talk about the shits for a reading you'll have! Anyways, I also think some won't take new callers on keen because they can afford not too. Some readers aren't in it for the money, plain and simple. They are in it to help people by using their gifts and really connect to others. Must be nice... I wish I could make money that way!
10) I pay no heed to their pictures, what they say in their listings or whatever they have on their listings. It's all art and a matter of opinion. Visionsbyvicky has beautiful listings, very nicely done, and she has extremely amazing feedback. But she was the shits of a reader for me and absolutely nothing came to fruition for me.

Anyways, there's my two cents.

canary

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 09:04:56 PM »
CFisher: Like you, I did not put much stock into featured readers initially.  Now I believe featured listings should not be overlooked and here is why.  I think on Keen, they are set up to work something like Adwords on Google.  It goes a bit deeper than only establishing a client base I am told.  A webby pal who knows Keen's platform business explains that a reader's ability to get new clients earns them extra points, and the higher their points and ability to get new traffic, the more Keen lowers their ad fees and uses them to direct new callers to Keen. Makes sense. In the end, Keen does not care if the reader is good or bad, as long as they are able to attract new clients to Keen and generate rev.  Not all readers want to spend on advertising on Keen.  For many, especially if they have been around a long time, a small collection of shills, friends, bogus feedback, psychic addicts and long fluffy readings keeps them in business just enough to meet their needs.  Those are the ones that give Lazy Readings. They get a feel for the client's situation, and can can keep the client pegged for long time, cycling and recycling info with new timelines, scenarios and a few thrills.  They don't care to be featured, accurate, or conscientious about their work - just exist somewhere on Keen and have their daily feed.  Some others are truly "working" in this profession, and trying to put their abilities to work to help clients through.  A good sense of what to expect from one's reading will be posted shortly.  It is an impressive piece by a researcher, and I was recently sent. 

canary

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »
http://www.creativespirit.net/henryreed/edgarcayce/document2.htm

The Source of Psychic Ability

What is the significance of psychic ability? What value does it have? What does it imply about our nature? Is there something that connects all of us together, like an invisible ether? The existence of psychic ability certainly does add another dimension to our perception of the world.

We are now going to be eyewitnesses to history, studying the record of one of those times in parapsychological research when a psychic is asked for information concerning the nature of the phenomena being manifested. It is a particularly fascinating and unique event because it involves two psychics, each giving a reading for the other, comparing their different perspectives on their unique psychic talents.

On February 3,1934, in a private home on Staten Island in New York, two people who were to become internationally renowned psychics met face to face to conduct an experiment. The one was Edgar Cayce, founder of the Association for Research and Enlightenment. The other was Mrs. Eileen Garrett, the famous medium, founder of the Parapsychology Foundation and benefactor of much research into parapsychology. These two gifted psychics came together to conduct readings for one another concerning their psychic talents. Edgar Cayce went first, reading for Mrs. Garrett. The resulting discourse, reading 507-1, is what we present for study here. Mrs. Garrett’s reading for Cayce, referred to in our discussion, is recorded as an appendix to reading 507-1 and is available for study in the A.R.E. Library.

Before we examine the results of this unusual experiment, it would be helpful first to consider certain terms and issues within the science of parapsychology as they apply to the psychic manifestations of Edgar Cayce and Eileen Garrett. This background may help us better to appreciate the significance of the material we will study.

Cayce is generally classified by parapsychologists as a "clairvoyant," that term designating the type of psychic ability that he manifested. Clairvoyance can be contrasted with telepathy (another category of psychic ability), which involves the ability of one mind being able to receive or tune in to information that is present in another mind. It is like talking over the telephone, but without the material phone. In telepathy two minds are involved.

Clairvoyance, on the other hand, involves picking up information that is not in anyone else’s mind, but is simply "out there." Clairvoyance is knowledge at a distance; knowing from afar without the involvement, either directly or indirectly, of a second, intermediary mind.

Making distinctions between such processes as telepathy and clairvoyance is important to parapsychologists as they attempt to understand how the psychic operates and the implications this has for our nature. Telepathy suggests a particular kind of ability and a certain type of "mental link-up" between people, whereas clairvoyance suggests possibly a different, or additional ability, and adds further possibilities to the makeup of human consciousness and the nature of reality.

While Cayce was characterized as a clairvoyant, Mrs. Garrett was generally described as a medium; that is to say, her psychic information originated from non-material "spirits" who spoke through her. It was as if her entranced consciousness was a radio receiver, picking up transmissions from beings inhabiting another dimension. Cayce, on the other hand, insisted that he was not a medium, that he did not obtain his information through the use of any non-material entities; rather, he claimed that his information came from a clairvoyance that extended as if toward omniscience, tending to make all knowledge available to him. He explained that such extended clairvoyance was possible because every experience ever had by a person since the creation of this planet leaves a "record," a mark on the history book of creation that may be read by others who are properly attuned.

Now we can see some of the issues in parapsychological study that are raised by the comparison of these two psychics. If Cayce is using clairvoyance to tap into knowledge, is Mrs. Garrett using telepathy to communicate with spirits? Who are these spirits, what is their nature, and would communication with non-material minds constitute telepathy, as we might ordinarily think of it, or some other process? Finally, are these two psychics having us make different inferences about the question of the continuity of life? As a medium, Mrs. Garrett seems to draw attention to the continuity in activity of physically deceased beings, while as a clairvoyant, Cayce seems to draw attention to the continuity of the effects, or of the records left behind. With this background, let us now study the reading that Edgar Cayce gave for Eileen Garrett.

Hugh Lynn Cayce conducted the reading and asked Cayce to speak specifically about Eileen Garrett’s mediumship, giving "such information regarding her work which will be interesting and helpful in relation to our experiments today."

Cayce begins with an opening statement that lays the foundation for the answers he gives later.

As to that which may be helpful to those that seek to know that there is the continuity of life, that there is to be gained from those activities in the realm of soul forces that may act through the psychic forces in each individual soul, know that that which may be given through this entity is that which is received through the varied channels that present themselves in that atmosphere or that environ that seeks for an understanding in those fields of activity that may bring to the manifested actions of individuals those influences that may have to bear upon the lives and souls of individuals.

Cayce first acknowledges the reasons for being interested in the phenomena being discussed here:

You are interested in knowing what help may be gained concerning the question of the continuity of life from the study of information that is transmitted psychically from the activities of soul forces. In other words, what do we really learn about the afterlife by asking psychics? (Note that Cayce is implying that the general source of the information is "activities in the realm of soul forces," and that such activities then operate "through the psychic forces in each individual…" We are reminded of Cayce’s general principle:

Psychic ability should be thought of as an attribute of the soul, rather than, for example, of the mind. What difference that makes we will see later.)

Cayce’s statement then makes reference to what may be learned from Eileen Garrett ("that which may be given through this entity. . ."). He says that she receives information from "varied channels that present themselves," and he locates them not in a physical place (such as the place where would be found those seeking Mrs. Garrett’s help), but rather "in that atmosphere or that environ"—a phrase he has used in other readings when referring to "places" within the non-material dimensions of being. ("Place" here means a "state of being," as when we ask someone, "What kind of place are you in?"; meaning, "How is your mood and what kinds of things are you thinking about?")

What is the quality of the "place" where these varied channels present themselves? Cayce characterizes it as the kind "that seeks for an understanding. . ." What quality of understanding? That which would be an active understanding, bridging the actions of people with the influences of the soul. That is to say, the nature of the "transmission" is governed by the desire to make the soul’s influence a more conscious part of the person’s daily life.

"As to how" all this works and to what effect, Cayce in his follow-up remarks indicates that it depends upon the sincerity of purpose of the seeker: "For, as ye sow, so shall ye reap." Here is where it makes a difference that psychic ability is of the soul rather than simply of the mind. We are normally inclined to think in terms of mechanisms and techniques, but Cayce indicates it is rather a matter of purpose. The purpose of the seeker rather than, for example, the nature of the trance or of the non-material, guiding entity is what determines the phenomenon. Circumstances and tools are but that, whereas it is the purpose of the one using them that determines what actually results from their use.

Is the seeker someone who is looking for influences to put into constructive action, or is the seeker looking instead for ideas to cram into one’s head, puffing it up with fanciful notions? The difference in how the information is to be used affects the type of information that is given.

What a different notion of the psychic forces and their activity do we have here! Cayce is suggesting that it is not simply a matter of plugging this particular receiver into this particular source of information using that particular antenna, but rather what the receiver can receive, what source of information will be active, and what information will be given, all depends upon the purpose of the seeker. What you put into the experience determines what you get out of it. The seeker determines the nature of the information just as much as possibly the mechanism by which the psychic obtains that information.

Cayce concludes his opening remarks, then, by referring the responsibility for both the generation and the evaluation of such phenomena back to the seeker, rather than to those observers who may be standing by to study the phenomena. He states:

". . .so only self may find those influences through such a channel that will be to meet the needs of those things necessary in self’s experience for the greater development."

When Cayce is questioned, he is asked first from what source he is getting this information for Mrs. Garrett. The answer is quite simply that it comes from "those records" formed by her activities; in other words, from her herself, as if from the footprints she has left. Here we see Cayce making reference to his ability as a clairvoyant to read the record created by the person’s past experience.

When he is asked the source of Mrs. Garrett’s information, he answers that it comes from two sources. First, it comes as a result of her own soul development that makes her a channel to others, who are seeking a bridge between the spiritual and psychic forces and their own lives. Second, Cayce says that it comes from "those influences from without that are either in those attitudes of being teachers, instructors, directors, or those that would give to those in the material plane the better comprehension of the continuance of a mental and soul activity." Thus Cayce refers to two distinct sources: Mrs. Garrett’s own attunement and the activity of other influences. (Here is a rather explicit reference to something like spirit guides, although again he describes more their intent than their nature.)

He is next asked a series of questions concerning the purpose, development and perfection of Mrs. Garrett’s psychic ability. He answers that the purpose is for self-expression: to express the desire and fulfillment of a soul who has worked at being a channel to the material realm of the knowledge and blessings in the spiritual realm. Her psychic gifts are a natural expression and outgrowth of her purposeful development as a soul endeavoring to be of a particular service. Cayce explains that in one past life, for example, Mrs. Garrett served as a spiritual teacher.

Thus her current work as a psychic builds upon past work with the psychic realm, ever with the same theme: to awaken in others the relationship between the unseen and the seen. And as to how she might further perfect this ability, Cayce doesn’t recommend particular techniques, but rather encourages her to continue as before, seeking to remain true to the best and the highest within herself:

...for, as He has promised ever, if ye seek in the light of thine understanding, trusting in Him for the increase, so may this attitude being kept ever within self make for self being that channel through which only the constructive influences may come into the experience of the seeker.

Note that Cayce’s discussion of Mrs. Garrett’s psychic ability, its origin, development and use, is strictly in terms of her purposes, the ideals she served, rather than in terms of any mechanisms short of a central truth of creation that "the Father giveth ever the increase. . ." He seems to want to stress that aspect of psychic ability over mechanics or techniques. As in many of his other readings, Cayce is here, too, implying that we already have within us the ability to learn such talents, if we would simply set our purpose in accord with the purpose of such abilities and then put into application what we do know ("in the light of thine understanding"), and take it from there. Having emphasized this most central aspect of psychic functioning, Cayce goes on to answer more specific questions about the mechanisms.

It is especially interesting now to note how he responds to the question concerning the non-material entities involved in Mrs. Garrett’s mediumship:

Q-6. Who are Mrs. Garrett’s spiritual guides, and tell us something about them?

A-6. Let them rather speak for themselves through that channel that is capable rather of presenting them in their light to that which has been the development of the soul itself in its experiences in the earth in the realms of their activity. For, their names are rather in her experience, in her seeking, than to find through other channels; even though they may be coming from the records that are made by each in their activity. Speak for thyself.

In not answering this question, Cayce makes a number of very fascinating statements. In fact, it may be that he does answer the question even if appearing not to. Is he saying that these guides are a reality only to Mrs. Garrett? Not exactly, for he does indicate that their source may be "the records" of their past activity, as if to say that their records might be "there" to be read by Cayce himself. He doesn’t explicitly indicate whether or not he could read these records, but we might surmise that he could. The tenor of what he says seems to suggest that he would rather not, for to do so would give a false or misleading impression of their nature.

It would seem, then, that the significant aspect of their nature lies in the experience of Mrs. Garrett with them. That may be what Cayce means when he says that her soul development involved interactions with their activity. If, as Cayce so often suggests and has explicitly emphasized in this reading, nothing that a person manifests is separate from what that soul itself has developed, then the spirit guides must be a reflection of Mrs. Garrett’s own soul development Are they reflections, then, of her own past lives, or are they the souls of people with whom she had interacted in past lives? If so, why didn’t Cayce say something simple like that? He definitely implies that the information he might produce about these entities from their records would be different from the information Mrs. Garrett would produce by having the spirit guides speak directly: ". . .their names are rather in her experience, in her seeking. .

Let us turn, then, for a moment to see what information came through Mrs. Garrett on this topic. The record of the reading indicates that the source of her information identified itself as "Uvani" and revealed that its last incarnation was at the time of Mohammed. Much of what Uvani stated during this reading supports or complements what Cayce had given. Note Uvani’s description of how Cayce obtains his clairvoyant information:

". . .he looks at the description of life in his own experience and by the light of his own spiritual understanding he immediately sees the spirit contact of the personality and what has been given to the soul in experience. After all, there is no example, there is no judge but your own self. .

(507-1 Supplement)

Sound familiar? Uvani also confirms the existence of the difference between Cayce and Mrs. Garrett that we have referred to as his clairvoyance and her mediumship. In fact, Uvani presents many arguments to the effect that Cayce could function as a better psychic, and with less personal cost, if he were to allow himself to be a medium and take advantage of the entities that wish to speak through him. Uvani presents no information to clarify the nature of such entities, although he does make remarks echoing Cayce’s own statements that they can be identified by their intentions, their desire to help and to make the invisible realms known to the living. When asked to name an entity that was waiting to help Cayce, Uvani gives a reply similar to that reply given by Cayce which we have been pondering. Uvani says, in effect, that it is up to Cayce himself to determine!

What has Cayce determined for himself? In the record of this Cayce reading, he was asked two questions on this matter. First, he was asked that if he "has ever had controls, does he know who they are?" (Control being a word used to designate the "controlling entity" speaking through the channel). Cayce’s reply is enigmatic, but of interest: "Anyone may speak who may seek, if the entity or the soul’s activities will allow same; or if the desire of the individuals seeking so over commands as to make for a set channel." No particular entity is named, only an indication that this type of communication is possible. His answer sounds like a description of the cooperation of wills, rather than a description of a transmission process. It is the desire of the spirit entity that seems to be a strong determining factor.

In the last question asked in this reading, Cayce indicates that the information he is channeling is "Being directed. . .from the records through Halaliel." Does that mean that Cayce is using a spirit control here? During Mrs. Garrett’s reading, Uvani is asked about this and responds in the affirmative, suggesting that this particular entity is very desirous of helping Cayce and should be utilized more. Uvani explains that at times when Cayce is physically tired and drained is it most likely for entities to speak through him, and that it would be better for Cayce if he were to actively choose to seek the help of a particular entity, such as this Halaliel. Edgar Cayce asked about Halaliel in a later reading (262-72) and subsequently chose not to seek Halaliel’s help.

Returning to reading 507-1, we examine the final section, which consists of a series of questions asked Cayce about his psychic trance. Why does he use hypnosis? Cayce answers that his body development is such that in order to seek what is available through the soul-body, the physical body must be put to sleep so that it ceases to influence what is channeled. Asked if trance were then a helpful method for psychic functioning, Cayce indicates that there are many methods of manifesting the soul, but that the most important ingredient is the desire to utilize this information in the service of soul development. When asked, is he "clairvoyant in the hypnotic state?" Cayce gives a surprising answer, for he indicates he would be more clairvoyant in the normal waking state, would his body permit of such attunement. It may seem surprising to hear that the normal state of consciousness would be the best state of mind for being psychic, since Cayce himself had to use a trance and so often reminded us that we could most readily experience our psychic ability in the dream state. However, when we consider one of his final remarks, concerning states of consciousness and psychic ability, we may appreciate then what has been an enduring theme throughout this entire reading:

...all are one when in perfect accord with the universal forces from which the records of all activities may be taken.

Telepathy implies separation, even the bridging of the separation, a transmission from one person/place to another. Clairvoyance implies a unity, an enlargement of one consciousness to include what would be known. Cayce’s emphasis on clairvoyance turns our attention away from the problem of how the psychic "bridges the gap" between minds and has us focus on the essential nature of psychic ability, its source in soul activity. Perhaps the most important attribute of the soul is its dwelling in oneness, and it is this oneness that is the significance and source of psychic ability.

Henry Reed, Ph.D.