Author Topic: Telling Your Therapist You Believe In Psychics  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Racquel43

Telling Your Therapist You Believe In Psychics
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:45:25 PM »
I wanted to ask the forum, how have you all went about talking about your experiences with your therapists? It’s a topic I tend to shy away from but I feel my psychic binges from back in the day was an important part of my life and cultivated me into the person I am today. The topic needs to be addressed. I have had a number of predictions manifested some that cannot be guessed at all so I wholeheartedly believe that psychics are real but how have you all addressed this topic without being forced to question the legitimacy of your beliefs.

Thank you

Offline Esse

Re: Telling Your Therapist You Believe In Psychics
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 09:20:02 PM »
Oh thats interesting, I'm training to be a therapist - I think i would see it as a self soothing behaviour, an unhelpful coping mechanism if you were having lots of reads rather than question your beliefs.

Offline Racquel43

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 09:37:25 PM »
Oh thats interesting, I'm training to be a therapist - I think i would see it as a self soothing behaviour, an unhelpful coping mechanism if you were having lots of reads rather than question your beliefs.

That’s exactly what I’m hoping is how therapists reacts. Thank you. Not to down play the beliefs someone has but again everyone is different.

Offline Just FYI

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 10:51:19 PM »

Can confirm, this is how my therapist reacted to my psychic reading habit. When I lapse, her reaction is “how can you be gentle to yourself?” “What do you need that you are lacking at the moment?”

Offline Bean82

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 11:12:52 PM »
I can’t remember how the conversation came up with mine (I shy away from it too), but come to find out she believes in psychics as well and it’s interesting hearing her stories. It actually helped me stop getting readings. I think it just helped to have someone in real life to talk to. She doesn’t know about my binge, however.

Offline HornetKick

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 12:24:35 AM »
I can’t remember how the conversation came up with mine (I shy away from it too), but come to find out she believes in psychics as well and it’s interesting hearing her stories. It actually helped me stop getting readings. I think it just helped to have someone in real life to talk to. She doesn’t know about my binge, however.
What were your therapist's thoughts about psychics and what did she say exactly to lessen your interest?

Offline Fairydust123

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 06:34:15 AM »
Hi! Therapist here!
I think its really great to speak with your therapist, counselorz social worker about it! As an LMFT, we believe in the biopsychosocialspiritual concept. So talk about how your spirituality is either adaptive or maladaptive behavior may really help you. We are here to listen and help. While we are here to guide, you have your own autonomy!! Maybe you can express your binging through what ever model of therapy you and your therapist use!! Also, we arent here to judge you for talk to psychics ♡♡♡♡

Offline Wanderlust619

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:00:43 AM »
Hi! Therapist here!
I think its really great to speak with your therapist, counselorz social worker about it! As an LMFT, we believe in the biopsychosocialspiritual concept. So talk about how your spirituality is either adaptive or maladaptive behavior may really help you. We are here to listen and help. While we are here to guide, you have your own autonomy!! Maybe you can express your binging through what ever model of therapy you and your therapist use!! Also, we arent here to judge you for talk to psychics ♡♡♡♡

Mine was a bit judgmental lol but it has helped me get some perspective and be more accountable.

Offline Fairydust123

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 07:05:46 AM »
It is good to be accountable but also remember, if you feel judgment made by your therapist can hurt your progress or treatment plan, it is your choice to talk about it with them or find a different therapist ♡♡ they could be using countertransference on you from their own issues lol! :)

Offline russianred

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 11:39:32 PM »
Good question.  I think it partly depends on how you present the issue to your therapist.

I was doubly embarrassed -- one for having spent so much money on binges and two for spending it on psychics, which I know conjures up images of Miss Cleo for most people.  I made it sound as if I spent a lot of money on something I knew was "dumb."

I could feel in my therapist's response that she believes psychics are fake and like she thinks I'm "better" than that -- and I felt a twinge of judgment from that.  The truth is that I'm more on the fence about psychic ability than I made it sound to her.  If I had presented it as something I wholeheartedly believed in, then I think she would have respected that.

More importantly, we looked at reasons why I binge and worked on tolerating and accepting uncertainty rather than trying to find it with psychics when it cannot be found.  Having confidence that no matter what happens with a situation, I am still enough and I will be OK.

I do think it's important to disclose psychic addiction or dependency to your therapist if it is interfering with your life.

Offline bee.23

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
Guys! I have not had faith in going to therapists for years now. Always wanted to find the right one who connects, but never did. Back when I was younger and was dancing in a club. I remember revealing the information to my therapist and he said “doesn’t that make you feel bad about yourself?” Following, “what makes you feel the need to have to do that”. I was shocked, and he was actually super judgmental, made me feel worse for being vulnerable enough to open up. Every session we had, he would look at the clock like 40 times. As well, would consistently hijack the sessions and speak about himself, his life, and one time, a way he punished his son for something minimal. I’ve been wanting to try therapy again for like 5 years, and never have due to this experience. Have even imagined how I would tell my therapist that I am into the spiritual realm + psychics, but have just feared being judged or unheard, and also not connecting. Then when I quit therapy with him shortly after that, he called me and without even asking how I was doing, was like “hello nice to hear from you” and proceeded to ask me if I could give him a 5 star review on his site. I have been baffled by this experience ever since. Although I was young, I obviously was not taken seriously as an individual, and it was just overall a terrible experience. The only thing I can say he genuinely helped me with was ways to cope with my anxiety

Offline bee.23

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 09:38:17 AM »
Guys! I have not had faith in going to therapists for years now. Always wanted to find the right one who connects, but never did. Back when I was younger and was dancing in a club. I remember revealing the information to my therapist and he said “doesn’t that make you feel bad about yourself?” Following, “what makes you feel the need to have to do that”. I was shocked, and he was actually super judgmental, made me feel worse for being vulnerable enough to open up. Every session we had, he would look at the clock like 40 times. As well, would consistently hijack the sessions and speak about himself, his life, and one time, a way he punished his son for something minimal. I’ve been wanting to try therapy again for like 5 years, and never have due to this experience. Have even imagined how I would tell my therapist that I am into the spiritual realm + psychics, but have just feared being judged or unheard, and also not connecting. Then when I quit therapy with him shortly after that, he called me and without even asking how I was doing, was like “hello nice to hear from you” and proceeded to ask me if I could give him a 5 star review on his site. I have been baffled by this experience ever since. Although I was young, I obviously was not taken seriously as an individual, and it was just overall a terrible experience. The only thing I can say he genuinely helped me with was ways to cope with my anxiety

How awful. I'm sorry this happened. He broke many rules and I'm inclined to think he wasn't even a licensed therapist. And if he was, clearly didn't take his profession and responsibility seriously. Therapy is supposed to be safe space. I do hope you try it again, it's very helpful. Sometimes it takes a few tries (aka kissing a few frogs) to find the right fit, and they all have different approaches to therapy _cognitive, psychoanalytical, etc. The recent trend has been online therapy sessions (especially now) so you don't even have to leave home, though for the initial meeting in person is always best, if possible.

Hope you're feeling better.

Thank you so much! I will definitely consider it. Your response was so kind and genuine ❤️
I actually have been thinking of trying betterhelp.com

Offline Just FYI

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 03:12:16 PM »
I agree with greekgeek, try a few therapists. I had a bad experience 10 years ago and broke up with that therapist by ghosting (so immature when I look back on it but it was such a bad relationship, I never felt like the therapist really got me - she was so condescending.) this time around I asked therapists I was interested in if we could have a screening phone call or if they offered a trial session. After a few conversations I found a therapist who works well for me where I am at the moment.

Good luck!

How awful. I'm sorry this happened. He broke many rules and I'm inclined to think he wasn't even a licensed therapist. And if he was, clearly didn't take his profession and responsibility seriously. Therapy is supposed to be safe space. I do hope you try it again, it's very helpful. Sometimes it takes a few tries (aka kissing a few frogs) to find the right fit, and they all have different approaches to therapy _cognitive, psychoanalytical, etc. The recent trend has been online therapy sessions (especially now) so you don't even have to leave home, though for the initial meeting in person is always best, if possible.

Hope you're feeling better.

Offline Fairydust123

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »
I would report to the board. That is unethical and we can do a lot of damage to our clients that way. I'm sorry you went through that!

Offline Esse

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 04:29:28 PM »
Building a good relationship with clients and creating a safe space for them to open up by active listening, not judging and being empathetic has been drummed into me and my fellow trainees from day 1, but there are different styles of therapy out there and some people are probably better at being therapists than others.  I still have a long way to go to be qualified to practise independently though.

anything