Author Topic: How are you doing?  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Just FYI

How are you doing?
« on: March 16, 2020, 12:59:38 AM »
I’m so scared about how things are developing with the coronavirus. I live in Boston, MA, and while I feel fortunate that we have resources here and social distancing hasn’t been difficult for me personally yet. But I worry that people aren’t taking coronavirus seriously! Just the other day when I was in a bathroom at a friends office washing my hands before a meeting, a woman stepped out of a stall (I heard a flush, so she did something in there), looked at me, and walked out without washing her hands. Appalling! How is there any hope to reduce exposure? I was trying to explain to someone the other day why I requested we switch from an in person meeting to a phone call and he was all “you are overreacting” but I don’t think I am. I’m relatively young and healthy but hate thinking of how I could possibly be an asymptomatic carrier who passes it on to someone else.

I’m also totally getting spun up in my head about how the pandemic is going to affect life. There are so many things I have been hoping and wishing for, that have seemed around the corner and now I wonder what’s going to happen because I feel like coronavirus is much bigger than people are thinking it is.

I’ve been trying to think of things to be grateful for at this time. I’m grateful that I am getting more time with my husband. I worry about my parents and how they are getting their day-to-day needs met as they are edging on 80. I am grateful they are well stocked. And in a weird way I’m grateful that everything being closed has forced a lot of people to enjoy a walk outdoors.

But I still worry. The wheels just keep turning in my head. How are you? I saw a coronavirus focused post but didn’t think my personal vent was appropriate there. Thanks for reading.

Offline HornetKick

Re: How are you doing?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 01:14:49 AM »
I agree with some of this. I find nothing wrong with being cautious. I work for an architectural firm and the partners have limited or cut out altogether the number of on-site meetings and have requested video conferencing or more conference calls. We do have the technology so why not use it? There is no reason we need to always have an across the desk f2f meeting. It isn't necessary until the world gets a handle on things.

I was going to go to Sams Warehouse but thought against it only because I felt I'll give them time to restock. I would like to stock up on my six-pack of 1-gallon water. I have craploads of wipes, so I honestly don't need anything, so there is no reason to head out. I'll go next week. I even went to a restaurant today and picked up some food to go. Yum barbecue and I asked her about being busy and the server said no, so it seems like many places are going to take a hit. I was surprised to read that Starbucks is closing down some stores. It's temporary until they put in place more stringent cleaning measures.

A lot of this is a wait-n-see kind of thing because not many of us have never lived through something of this magnitude. Remember when we only had to read to learn about plagues in school? There are a lot of unanswered questions with lots of hypotheses.

Offline maggs30

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:16:21 AM »
The World has survived many things worse than the coronavirus. I'm personally not worried. There are less than 300 cases in the US that has a population of 331 million. China did a piss poor job of diagnosing and containing it since their first cases infected 115 countries but within 2 or 3 peaks I feel it will have peaked in the US. Yes we are behind in testing people but my gut says its nowhere near as big as social media makes it. Social media is causing a mass panic. In 2014 Ebola was the big thing. Only 4 people got it.

Offline kdspirited

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:16:35 AM »
Hi Just FYI I live in los Angeles and I second the notion that people are not taking this seriously. I drove past the mall today and the parking lot is full. The lines outside grocery stores and Targets of the world and the sheer casual nature of this looking at bars and restaurants full of people. My mom is in her 70's she lives in sommerville MA and I so worried about her. Luckily my brother is close but she is my only parent and it is absolutely killing me that I am so far away from her and cant get to her. We are all dealing with our challenges. I am over washing and being over zealous. there is a silver lining in everything. I lost my job at the end of Feb and have not been to the office since. Hence keeping out of the range of germs as much as possible. Stay strong

Offline HornetKick

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 01:21:37 AM »
Also, I was always big on washing my hands a lot before this. We have a kitchen at work and I would always wash my hands even just to get a glass of water. As soon as I get home, I wash my hands, just from coming from outside. I even have wipes at my desk. It's the filthy people who don't do it at all or think they need to. Yikes, I was disgusted with them before this.

Offline Sparkle002

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 01:21:46 AM »
The World has survived many things worse than the coronavirus. I'm personally not worried. There are less than 300 cases in the US that has a population of 331 million. China did a piss poor job of diagnosing and containing it since their first cases infected 115 countries but within 2 or 3 peaks I feel it will have peaked in the US. Yes we are behind in testing people but my gut says its nowhere near as big as social media makes it. Social media is causing a mass panic. In 2014 Ebola was the big thing. Only 4 people got it.

There are over 3000 cases in the US (I think you meant to say that right? lol) - the numbers will continue to grow as people are tested....

Ive never seen anything like this where everything is shut down...its not Social Media hype - its real life way to stop spreading the virus...social distancing is the way to do it. ...therefore buying food and everything makes sense....

The r-naught for this virus is like an R 4-6 vs R-1 with the flu, which means you can infect 4-6 people with one person - its stays in the air and surfaces longer than the flu...even though it feels like panic...I think this an appropriate response to get rid of it quickly.

Those who have it stay home so their bodies can fight it off, those who dont have it stay at home and dont catch it

This will stop it and it will dissapear...

there is a whole thread on this here

http://www.thepsychicreviews.com/forum/index.php/topic,5592.msg111309.html#msg111309

Factual Numbers  Diagnosed, Death and Recoveries - Real Time
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:29:18 AM by Sparkle002 »

Offline HornetKick

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 01:26:22 AM »
Someone mentioned to me that because some places in New York have a curfew, it's generally the first step towards enacting Martial Law. Things will become even more chaotic if this happens.

Offline Sparkle002

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 01:28:22 AM »
Someone mentioned to me that because some places in New York have a curfew, it's generally the first step towards enacting Martial Law. Things will become even more chaotic if this happens.

True - we are on quarantine where I live and I already feel like going nuts at home

Offline ES1281

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 01:33:02 AM »
Well personally I don’t feel threat.
The Swine flu in 2008-2009 killed 2,00,000 ppl in the world.

And I don’t think China did a poor job since the locked down the city which has 100,00,000 population.
WHO announced pandemic that time ‘too.

So other cities has very few ppl are infected.
Italy was the first group of country banned flight from China the what’s happening now?

Anyway I think just wash hands stay home then the issue will disappear to nowhere.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:35:10 AM by ES1281 »

Offline HornetKick

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 01:37:17 AM »
Oh another thing, someone mentioned that you should drink lots of water. If you have it unknowingly or in the beginning stages and swallow the virus, it can't live on the acids in our stomachs. So drink, drink, drink to flush it out.

I disagree, China did a lot of lying before the rest of the world started calling their bluff. China's sanitation programs are almost nil and to have wet markets, sounds sickening in itself. I believe they have started to ban these. They had no laws or provisions like the U.S. has such as the FDA to police and protect the general population. I was also told that 1/3 of China, particularly Wuhan province still exists like a third world country. Really??

Offline ES1281

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 01:38:46 AM »
I truly think the media is using this situation to manipulate currencies politics economy...
Again if you remember swine flu it killed way more ppl.
Media virus is worse than the actual COVID-19.

There are way many ppl are infected but have no symptoms at all.
Like if you check if Tom Hanks carries flu every year probably he had from 30 years ago.

Offline maggs30

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 01:44:50 AM »
There are 267 confirmed cases in the US as of 4pm on the 13th. The CDC will update tomorrow. There are 1362 suspected cases. Meaning they have not been tested. The link provided includes confirmed, suspected, and people from China in the US in quarantine. There are many ways to make the numbers appear worse. I'm not saying people shouldn't wash their hands and take precautions but the frenzied state people have put themselves in is not helping them or anyone else.

Offline maggs30

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 01:47:07 AM »

And I don’t think China did a poor job since the locked down the city which has 100,00,000 population.

Italy was the first group of country banned flight from China the what’s happening now?

Anyway I think just wash hands stay home then the issue will disappear to nowhere.

The first case in China was in Nov 2019. They failed to take much action at all until Feb 2020. 3 months of people traveling and spreading it. Its not a new virus it is just a new strain.

Offline Sparkle002

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 01:51:02 AM »

Totally agree - if everyone sayed home for like 6 weeks IT WILL VANISH

Offline ES1281

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 01:51:37 AM »
Oh another thing, someone mentioned that you should drink lots of water. If you have it unknowingly or in the beginning stages and swallow the virus, it can't live on the acids in our stomachs. So drink, drink, drink to flush it out.

I disagree, China did a lot of lying before the rest of the world started calling their bluff. China's sanitation programs are almost nil and to have wet markets, sounds sickening in itself. I believe they have started to ban these. They had no laws or provisions like the U.S. has such as the FDA to police and protect the general population. I was also told that 1/3 of China, particularly Wuhan province still exists like a third world country. Really??

Not like you said.
They were slow in checking if the covid infect human. But after they found it out they locked the city.
If not way more people would get infected like swine flu.
South east Asia has more wet wild animals market and the eat everything but Chinese not really.
Wuhan is a big city here is movie taken by local ppl after the outbreak.
https://youtu.be/MikbHr3sGJ8
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan

There are a lot third world area and there are a lot first world area.
I’ve been to a lot placed around the world so many cities in China are new and very developed areas.