Author Topic: Planning a trip to Hawaii - Suggestions/Tips  (Read 161 times)

Offline Silverlightnmoom

Planning a trip to Hawaii - Suggestions/Tips
« on: October 10, 2019, 06:03:56 PM »
I need some help planning my first time going to Hawaii. We are going for 1 week, flying into Honolulu in January. I really don't know the different islands and what's on the different islands. We want to spend our time eating, drinking, doing outdoorsey things (hiking, catamarans (but I don't know how to swim!), and experiencing some cultural stuff as well. We are trying to say under 3k for the whole week. Does anyone have any suggestions on which islands to hit, what to do, what the weather will be like in January, or tips to do the most with our time there?

Thanks!

Offline doubleoh8

Re: Planning a trip to Hawaii - Suggestions/Tips
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 07:07:41 PM »
I have been to a few of the islands: Hawaii (the big island); Kauai; Maui; and Oahu.

The big island is my personal favourite as it's very laid back, natural, super ecologically diverse and affordable. They're all a bit different and I like them all for different reasons. I suggest only one island for a week, and perhaps stay in 2 different locations on the island. E.g.:

Kauai: very sleepy. You could stay in Poipu at the south end for great snorkeling and restaurants, then go up to Hanalei for a fabulous beach, easy surfing and a really quaint town with less fancy but still good restaurants.

If you like more action, then Oahu might be better... but I am not so familiar.

Maui (I found) is more expensive but has a lot to offer for cruises, beaches, restaurants, people watching.

Big island is very nature - oriented, although it has resorts too in the Kona area.

I suggest read about the different islands and see which draws you. Once you pick an island I will post more suggestions if you like. (I am not a resort person, though... I tend to use little bnbs or cabins and avoid crowds, so it also depends on your travel style).

Hope that's somewhat helpful

Offline Silverlightnmoom

Re: Planning a trip to Hawaii - Suggestions/Tips
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 06:44:09 PM »
Thank you doubleoh8 and Persimmon - This helped a lot with our trip details. We decided to stay in Oahu since were flying into Honolulu. A very small chance we may go over to the Big Island for a couple days because it sounds awesome!