Author Topic: How to help someone going through depression?  (Read 842 times)

Offline becca1111

How to help someone going through depression?
« on: October 10, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
Hi friends! Just want to pick your brains today.
How would you approach/help someone that you knew was going through mental issues/ depression but is too prideful? I hope that makes sense in a way.
You can tell by their behavior that they are insecure, worried.. that they took out thousands of student loans to buy handbags and shoes to impress others.. but they are too prideful to admit any of this to get actual help.

I hope you all have a wonderful day/night.

ladya

Re: How to help someone going through depression?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »
How would you approach/help someone that you knew was going through mental issues/ depression but is too prideful? I hope that makes sense in a way.
You can tell by their behavior that they are insecure, worried.. that they took out thousands of student loans to buy handbags and shoes to impress others.. but they are too prideful to admit any of this to get actual help.

I would just tell them that you're always there for them if they ever need to talk or a shoulder to lean onto. You can't make anyone see anything they don't want to see and if you start making suggestions it will probably only drive them further away. Its like that saying - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Offline Girly1998

Re: How to help someone going through depression?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 04:25:50 PM »

I would just tell them that you're always there for them if they ever need to talk or a shoulder to lean onto. You can't make anyone see anything they don't want to see and if you start making suggestions it will probably only drive them further away. Its like that saying - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

True. You can express your concerns, let them know you’re there and leave it at that. Unfortunately, they won’t change or reach out for help until they’re ready.

anything