Author Topic: New Discussion Boards  (Read 5452 times)

Offline doubleoh8

Re: New Discussion Boards
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 05:09:20 AM »
Why have a section for people to discuss how they don’t believe (or lost belief)  in psychics? Like that doesn’t need to be a board but a WHOLE NEW WEBSITE lol

Because people get triggered whenever it is mentioned. And if it was discussed more it may help people. Those are the kinds of posts that helped me when I first came to this forum. It used to be the norm here. Now people act like this forum is supposed to be all in favor of getting readings. It was not founded on that.

If this a Psychic Review website - I would assume that this site was founded on not only getting readings, but reviewing readers when reading with them

So when you first came to this board you were seeking to get over reading with psychics? (Not to single you out but this may be just a general question who may have the same perspective as you)

I’ll say - this site didn’t signal that to me...i was looking for reviews of good readers to read with - who typically worked and who didn’t and amazing predictions that actually came to pass (i love reading those types of stories)

I rarely look at things that didn’t work or didn’t come to pass unless i was thinking about reading with them to help make my decision- honestly i thought that the title Psychic Reviews was all about

When I came here, I wasn't necessarily trying to stop having readings...I was mostly just trying to figure out why certain readers had such great feedback on Keen if they sucked so much for me. It was seriously messing with my mind because I thought maybe I was the only one who didn't have predictions come to pass. Coming here I found out it was more the norm not to have predictions come true. Most of the original forum members had figured that out and warned others about it. And this place was pretty much dead at that point because most of those members had given up on readings.

People like me, have put all our trouble with psychics out on the line here, and many peopke here have probably been able to avoid some of the bad readers because of us...but now when newer members come here no one sees it that way. It's just like why is this b*&%$ Still Tired still posting if she doesn't get readings anymore? I mean come on I know that's what you are getting at.

Nah i was just curious ...def didn’t think about the “b” word lol
But thanks for the explanation! Makes sense now

I have a friend that has serious trouble having things come to pass as well so i totally get it and understand how dissapointing it is- if it were to happen to me I’d prob be the same way (wonder why this psychic phenomena works for sooo many - or not) but I’m not sure if I’d still check the board because I’d be like “eff it” just like my friend cuz the “ish” didn’t work lol but that’s just me lol
But I totalllly get where you are coming from

I’ve been on the board for 3 years so def not a Veteran but def not new

Hey @still_tired I just wanted to say much respect to you for coming on here and sharing your story and your wisdom. I know you get a lot of flack here, and I also see that you are a strong person and can stand up for yourself. In fact you and I have clashed at least once... but I know how hard it is when you have been through the ringer with readings - the psychological toll it can take, so kudos to you for hanging in and for sharing your opinion and experience. I think it very valuable!

And @Sparkle, that's not meant for a second to take away from the positives that are happening for you. I think everyone on here likes to see a success story, myself included, so it's great to see you've had some really good things coming through. I wish you all the best and have taken away from your posts some good advice about NOT looking for outcomes or for timelines.

If it's not obvious, I like harmony and value diversity... but I honestly think there is room here for many voices and topics.

Thank you...I really appreciate that. I don't even remember us clashing. I'm sorry if I ever said anything rude or hurtful. I know I may come off harsh sometimes, but it is all intended to keep people from making the same mistakes I did.

it's all good. i actually couldn't remember what it was about but I knew we had a 'moment', so I looked it up. I was in a different place then and took something you said personally... but I have a different perspective now and a better understanding of where you are coming from.

Offline njlady

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »

It seems to me that part of the problem here is around expectations. I think a lot of people take the name of the site 'The Psychic Reviews' at face value, and expect it to be all about pure reviews. But if you look a bit deeper into it, there is a lot more is going on. There are already boards on the site called 'The Vent' and 'Connect with Others', for example.

And then there's what forum users are talking about. There are all kinds of conversations going on... from 'are psychics really just reading our minds' to 'taking a break this month' to 'how to ask questions to make sure you're not giving leading info' to 'how ethical is it to do spell work.' These conversations are just happening. And you can try to control it all and keep telling users -- stick to the reviews only, but if people want to talk about those related topics, you can't really stop them.

I'm trying to think of an analogy and the one that comes to mind is a book club I used to go to where we'd discuss the book for all of about 10 minutes and then the conversation would go on all sorts of tangents. It would come back to the book every once in a while, but I would say about 2/3 of the time it was non-book chat. It's similar here, except in general the overarching topic is psychic readings and readers.

I came on here looking for reviews originally -- both good and bad. As time went on, I started to question the value of readings in my life. Along with that shift, I found I was enjoying the conversations that were a bit more philosophical in nature. I definitely don't have all the answers, but I think we can learn a lot from each other if we stop trying to pinch off all those conversations, whether they are about belief, addiction, healing ... etc.

The admin stated over a year after the board started that I see this site as more than a psychic review service, but it's also doubling as a relationship support site, which is great, but I think the problem is more along the lines that when someone posts their review/experience with a psychic so you can decide if this might be a good reader for you, not your style or a cold reader there are certain people who come along and drop a giant turd in every single post about how all psychics are fake, blah blah. People don't let the reviews be reviews.

Offline doubleoh8

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »

It seems to me that part of the problem here is around expectations. I think a lot of people take the name of the site 'The Psychic Reviews' at face value, and expect it to be all about pure reviews. But if you look a bit deeper into it, there is a lot more is going on. There are already boards on the site called 'The Vent' and 'Connect with Others', for example.

And then there's what forum users are talking about. There are all kinds of conversations going on... from 'are psychics really just reading our minds' to 'taking a break this month' to 'how to ask questions to make sure you're not giving leading info' to 'how ethical is it to do spell work.' These conversations are just happening. And you can try to control it all and keep telling users -- stick to the reviews only, but if people want to talk about those related topics, you can't really stop them.

I'm trying to think of an analogy and the one that comes to mind is a book club I used to go to where we'd discuss the book for all of about 10 minutes and then the conversation would go on all sorts of tangents. It would come back to the book every once in a while, but I would say about 2/3 of the time it was non-book chat. It's similar here, except in general the overarching topic is psychic readings and readers.

I came on here looking for reviews originally -- both good and bad. As time went on, I started to question the value of readings in my life. Along with that shift, I found I was enjoying the conversations that were a bit more philosophical in nature. I definitely don't have all the answers, but I think we can learn a lot from each other if we stop trying to pinch off all those conversations, whether they are about belief, addiction, healing ... etc.

The admin stated over a year after the board started that I see this site as more than a psychic review service, but it's also doubling as a relationship support site, which is great, but I think the problem is more along the lines that when someone posts their review/experience with a psychic so you can decide if this might be a good reader for you, not your style or a cold reader there are certain people who come along and drop a giant turd in every single post about how all psychics are fake, blah blah. People don't let the reviews be reviews.

Yes, I get where you are coming from and can appreciate that idea - let reviews be reviews. That said, two thoughts:
1. it's not always the "all psychics are fake" comment that derails review threads. Users take all sorts of tangents. I recall someone named atsrk1 (or something like that) whose blanket statement was the opposite; she was more on the lines of 'all psychics are real and if things didn't happen for you, it's your fault.' And then there are other tangents people take about all kinds of topics, some related to the reader the thread is about and others not. I find it can be annoying if I am looking for feedback on a specific person and the thread has taken a multi-page tangent. I often give up looking because I don't want to wade through all the other stuff and it's the bickering, that often goes on for pages and often gets quite ugly / personal, that gets to me most, especially when embedded within a readers' thread.

2. What some forum users find relevant to the thread, others feel is off-topic. I don't have a specific example at my fingertips, but in my opinion if the thread about 'psychic x' is discussing 'psychic x', including the way they read, what they got wrong, their ethics... those are all relevant IMO. I get the impression that some users only want to see 'psychic x' got 'a,b,c' right. And to me there's a lot more that goes into evaluating a reader...